4.06.2012

Writing too much...

Have I told you yet that I, in true catastrophe waitress form, broke my most beloved heart shaped ceramic baking dish?
so broken hearted
I can't tell you how many vegan chocolate cakes that heart and mine created together. (Here it is in all it's glory) Ah...so today I went in search of a new one because a square shaped one just won't do.
In my quest, I "just happened" to find myself across the street from Jo Ann Fabrics.
      Lately I have made a point to stop by and take a look around. I don't always buy fabric, but I do love walking through all the pretty colors and patterns for inspiration. Also, for the last few months I've made a special visit to this Singer beauty I posted many weeks back.
      I say "hello" to it, I thread the needle, the sweet ladies let me demo the stitches, it (apparently) stars in my phone photos; but am I ever going to spend the MSRP of $599.99 on it? Oh heck no!! Why would I? I mean sure, my machine looks like a joke in comparison to this glorious machine, but it gets the job done.
Oh, but today... today I walked by and a very tiny sign was taped onto the top of the machine. Not a big, flashy sale sign just a white piece of paper with a new price typed on it. A new price that would only last for so long. A new price that meant I could possibly hope again! Almost half off and then some because the box of the only one in stock had been opened, but the machine untouched.
      Today I took a leap of faith. No. Not a leap. I freaking pole vaulted. I went completely old school and put it on lay away. You heard read me.
practice stitching

      I would never put something on lay away and I would never advise anyone else to do it either. If you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Sorry, if it's that or food? Food wins, but there are rare things that you have to claim before they pass you by and to me, this was it. I never saw this Singer as just another object, another sewing machine. It has been that which I've lusted over, but realized it will never be. Like an afternoon with Jim Carrey. That machine was always the embodiment of my big dream. My passions, materialized. It's my hope for a future in which I get to live doing what I've always wanted and what makes me happy. So slowly, but definitely surely, I'll get to create masterpieces with the magic that flows through that needle.
      Long story short...my slow (I mean snail-like) pace of an income better get a move on! Before leaving the store I had sold one of my floret rings to another customer, my hair bow to the cashier and if I had another purse with me I may have parted with my Jason Wu for Target daisy print handbag to the sweet woman who had become enamored with it. Basically if you want to buy something off my back, I'll sell it to you.
     Why? because I have more than most and I've started something that I plan on successfully finishing. Dreams deserve that, don't they? They are dreams that I know will not come easily or quickly, but I am bold enough. 

...and if you read through all of that. Then you are rewarded with this sweet photo of Dennis Quaid as Jerry Lee Lewis and Winona Ryder as his child bride. It's one of my favorite scenes from that movie. Their faces in that moment look so familiar.